recipes and tips for better living

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Powered By Veggies: What I'm Eating Now.


I'm in the midst of leading a 30 day challenge at Sculpt Fusion Yoga.  I can't express how excited I am about this incredibly inspiring and open minded group, their enthusiasm is contagious!  As part of the challenge we are about to embark on a 7 day whole foods supported cleanse.  Taking out gluten, soy, dairy, salt, sugar, processed foods, canned foods, caffeine, alcohol, and chocolate may not sound like much fun, but there are so many incredible, flavorful, and high powered foods that don't contain any of these ingredients.

Here are a few that i'm really into right now...

Green Juice!!!  I should wear a shirt that reads, "Powered By Veggies".  This is my moto.  I am a vegetable machine, and these green juices and smoothies are my ammunition.   I'm loving drinking this simple green juice each morning that gets my vegetable machine engine gunnin'!

1 or 2 small red apples, lemon, celery,  kale, nub of ginger: all through the juicer.

Papaya!!!  Any reason to eat papaya is a good reason to me!  Here are a few good reasons why you might start lovin' on some papaya too!

*Papayas are a rich source of antioxidant vitamins (vit C, A, and E)
*Full of carotenes, flavonoids, B vitamins, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and magnesium.
*They contain the enzymes papain and chymonapapain which help in protein digestion
*Papaya aides digestion, prevents constipation, lowers cholesterol, prevents formation of urinary stones, and prevents infection by parasites. (the seeds taken with honey are known to expel worms. Used in this way you would chew and swallow a couple teaspoons of papaya seeds after your meals). Click here to check out this old blog i posted with a recipe for carrot papaya juice.  It's super slammin'!

Sah - WEEEEEEEEET!

High Raw Veggie Salads!!!  Lunch is typically a high raw veggie salad much like the past two blogs i've posted.  I'll often add a little steamed sweet potato, steamed veggies, legumes, or just some fruit to my salads.


 
Grounding Foods In The Evening!!!  My dinners lately have been more grounding cooked veggies and roots.  Last night was bok choy cooked in a small amount of ghee and garlic with steamed sweet potato and broccoli (sorry no pic, devoured happily without thinking about photos).  I've also been diggin' on lentils lately, spicing it up with garam masala, cumin, raisins, sweet potatoes, and whatever veggies are on hand.

thinly sliced kale, cauli, broccoli, sweet potato, raisins, green lentils


Bring a 1/4 cup of green lentils with 1/2 cup of water to a boil, turn to low, cover and set a timer for 30 minutes.  Add the raisins, cumin, and garam masala.  At about 10 or 15 minutes in to cooking add the sweet potato (the smaller you chop it the quicker the cook time), and in the last 10 minutes of cooking toss in any additional veggies.  The greens can wait til the last 5 minutes, they wilt quickly.  Tada!  Need more flavah??  Add some more spices or use fresh cilantro as a garnish.

Share:

2 comments

  1. Are students allowed to eat meat during the cleanse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely. I'd recommend looking for grass fed, organic meats. I encourage my my group to drop the amount of dense protein (mostly meat) but not to take it out entirely if you don't want. Rather look at your plate and fill 75% of it with fresh produce and whole food carbohydrates (veggies and grain) and the other 25% is your protein source (dark leafy greens, meats, legumes, etc).

    ReplyDelete

© A Grateful Life | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig