recipes and tips for better living

Monday, February 13, 2012

Sometimes A Girl's Just Gotta Have Her Cereal: Enjoy Life



Think back to your favorite boxed cereals as a kid....

Lucky charms, Fruity Pebbles, Life, Golden Grahams, Frosted Flakes, Raisin Bran....

I loved them all...the healthy ones too!  I enjoyed fiber cereals made of what other kids thought were sticks and twigs just as much as i liked my Sugar Smacks, and although i still do have an deep affinity for cereal, i don't eat it much.  I realize that boxed cereals are heavily refined, processed, and nutrient deplete foods, and i know that Corn Pops are going to hold me over for all of 10 minutes, but still...sometimes a girl's just gotta have her cereal.


Lucky for this Gluten Free girl, Enjoy Life has a full line of Gluten Free Foods.  I picked up a box of their Crunchy Flax cereal and too my delight it's the perfect low fat topper on a fruit cereal bowl.  While i used to pile my bowl full of cereal and leave little room for some banana or berries on top, i've now switched the proportions and start with a bowl of fruit/berries and just top the fruit with almond milk and a few Tbsps of nuts, seeds, coconut flakes, or whatever it is that suits my fancy.  Since my discovery of this great gluten free cereal i now have a go to recipe for a guiltless bowl of cereal still hearty in antioxidant-rich berries and pumpkin seeds to boost my iron and protein, now with a little kicker of low fat crunchy cereal to top it off.  YUM!

Blueberry, Pumpkin Seed, & Crunchy Flax Cereal:

1 cup organic blueberries rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp of roasted and salted pumpkin seeds (i'm a fan of the sweet/salty combo, though you can use raw unsalted pumpkin seeds if you do not have my same love for sweet/salty stuff!)
3 Tbsp of Enjoy Life's Crunchy Flax Cereal
1/2 cup of vanilla unsweetened almond milk
liquid stevia to sweeten if needed.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig