recipes and tips for better living

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bodyrocking Workouts, Gymboss, and Macaroons: OH MY!

january newland in natarajasana
Who doesn't like the feeling of being just a little sore and sweaty after you workout?  I mean....you know you got your money's worth when it kind of hurts to laugh, your heart is pounding through your chest, you feel it on your underside, or your arms are like jello.   I'm a yoga girl through and through, but lately i've been seeking out some other forms of excercise since my body is so aquainted to my 'normal routine'.  I started taking bodyrock bootcamp workouts saturday mornings in balboa park from a good friend and fellow instructor, January Newland.  Tonight she's adding a second weekly arse kicking to her repertoire at the stairs of the convention center downtown San Diego.  I'd love for you to join us, get your butt whipped, sweat, cry, laugh, and support one another in an ever-constant battle against the bulge!  I interviewed J so you could get an idea of what the workouts are like, what to expect when you come, and why you would do it in the first place!

me: please explain the style of workout you teach
J: My workouts are high intensity, short duration workouts that are designed to push you out of your comfort zone, boost your metabolism, and increase your overall strength!  The workouts incorporate big exercises that work your body as a whole unit to maximize the metabolic impact.  The workouts are never the same; but you can expect to sweat, become exhausted, and then shortly after feel completely energized.  We use kettlebells, medicine balls, jump ropes, and your own body weight.  My workouts are like mini-personal training sessions;  I pay close attention to form, safety, and encouraging you exactly when you most need it!
 
me: what are the dates/times/locations of your bootcamp?
J: Saturday 8:15am in Balboa Park - 6th and Upas
   Wednesday 5:30pm at Convention Center Stairs (parking at Embarcadero Marina Park South) 

me: what is the theory behind the type of workout you lead?   
The theory behind these workouts is in the high intensity.  The harder you push, the more oxygen your muscles will need to consume POST-exercise to recover, continuing your caloric burn for hours.  In addition, these workouts combine cardiovascular effects with muscle building, and it's the muscle that will burn fat even when you are at rest.  Twice a week is perfect for this kind of intense routine.  

me: how has this type of training impacted your life (physically, spiritually, etc)
J: I feel stronger and more vibrant!  I used to spend hours on cardio machines and feeling uncomfortable in weight rooms, and never seeing the results I wanted.  When I first started high intensity interval training a few years ago, right away I noticed muscles I had never seen before!  Recently I began putting even more intensity into even shorter duration routines, and noticed that my energy levels surged, and my body also feels leaner and stronger than ever before.  I'm happy to push harder for a shorter amount of time; who doesn't want  more time to play and less time to shuffle around in the gym? 

me: what is/are your inspiration(s)?   
J: I am inspired by my Dad, who was a health nut and fitness enthusiast long before it was cool to be into that kind-of thing.  He owned a gym in the 50's that encouraged women to workout alongside the boys, which was rare then.  I was his side-kick as a little girl, watching his every move as he blended up wheat-germ/spinach/egg white smoothies and lifted weights in our garage... and he did this into his 70's!   I am also inspired by the queen of short duration killer workout routines, Zuzana Light!

my fave quote: "Strong is the New Skinny!" 
 
Lululemon Ambassador, January Newland
January Newland is a San Diego yoga teacher and fitness coach. Outside of her personal training sessions and bootcamp classes January also teaches Yoga Sculpt and Power Yoga classes at CorePower Yoga San Diego, training sessions at Xplicit Fitness, and hosts Runners-in-Training workshops and Stand-Up-Paddle Workouts on Mission Bay. She is an Ambassador to Lululemon La Jolla.
Credentials:
RYT Certified Yoga Instructor, CorePower Yoga
NETA certified Yoga Sculpt Instructor
ACE certified Group Fitness Instructor
AHA CPR & First Aid Certified
So J and me...being close friends and all, talk about food (of course) and how to stay fit in between my much needed January Bootcamp Sessions.   She uses a Gymboss to keep track of time on the intervals.   I ordered one so i can do some circuits at home when i'm too short on time to go to a full hour class.  They are awesome.  Grab a fitness magazine and pull out a few different exercises, set your timer for 50 seconds with a 10 second break in between exercises and get moving.  I usually try to find 5 different exercises and set the timer to go through 5 rounds.  My last one was jump rope, toe taps on a stair, mountain climbers, squat jumps, and burpees.  My heart was beating out of my chest!  I find that working out this way means your push hard for a shorter amount of time, but the timer keeps you on track so you don't peter out.  I'll admit....i push harder with January's support, but it's still great to have the option to do mini workouts on my own in between her sessions.
 
Onto the foodie part....J's reconstructed her eating habits around the paleo philosophy and is loving how she looks and feels.  Recently she made me paleo grain free, dairy free, macaroons which are super fly and she's kind enough to shares her recipe with us.  Easy to make....easier to eat....Enjoy!



Paleo Macaroons  (grain free)
  • 1 ½ cup almond flour
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • few shakes of salt
  • 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 2 Tbsp honey 
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1 egg
  • 4 tbsp coconut butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together almond flour, baking soda, salt, and set aside.
Mix coconut oil, honey, mashed banana, egg, coconut butter and vanilla.
Add the first mix into the wet stuff along with the shredded coconut.
Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake for about 10-13 minutes!




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig