recipes and tips for better living

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Well Being Smoothie, Challenge Day 13


So it hit me...and pretty hard.  I'm officially sick.  I don't want to use the excuses that 'i got what's going around' or that "i work in such a germy environment touching sweaty bodies" (i'm a hot yoga teacher if you're new to the blog) because i don't believe i got this from exposure to any one bug.  I believe i caught this nasty cold from exhaustion.  I always tell others 'When you don't slow down the universe will find a way to make you.'

Why don't we listen to our own advice?  I haven't had a day off in who knows how long, and finally the universe smacked me down.  A friend said she once read a saying like 'We are all looking for a cure for the common cold, but perhaps the cold is the cure.  It forces us to slow down' and it's so true.  Taking a little down-time to recoup left me at home actually resting as well as getting things at home tackled i wouldn't have otherwise if i continued to move at the pace of my normal life.  

We are constantly taking our health for granted until it's gone.   Perhaps it's time to take a moment to notice if you need to make some adjustments as well.  Do you have the time to nurture your relationships and friendships?  What about your relationship to yourself? How much time do you really have to check out, turn off, unwind, and relax? What adjustments can you make in your daily living to make sure you can maintain/support your best well-being? 

So today i made a Well Being smoothie.  I bumped it up with camu camu which is one of the best sources of vitamin C, oranges, local honey for it's anti-viral and anti-bacterial qualities, ginger and cayenne for it's warming essence, and garnished with a little bee pollen for an additional immune system boost.

I'm also actively taking elderberry with echinacea, sitopiladi, oil of oregano, vitamin C (camu camu and fresh oranges and juice), apple cider vinegar, probiotics, superfoods, and zinc.  I'm pretty much a barely-walking herbal medicine cabinet.  Hopefully i will get the best of this bug before it straps me down entirely.  I am resting....at least a lot more than normal ;)

Well Being Smoothie

2 cups vanilla almond milk
dash of cinnamon
1 orange
1/2 a ripe banana
1 handful of power greens (kale, chard, spinach)
small slice of ripe avocado
3 Tbsp Beaming Plant Based Protein
1/2 tsp camu camu powder
1/4 tsp ginger
dash of cayenne
1 Tbsp local raw honey
a couple ice cubes.

BLEND, and garnish with bee pollen



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig