If you're reading this blog around the holidyas you'll know how hard it can be to stay on track this time of year and how hard it is to resist temptations. Even your most health conscious advisors are enjoying a little more than usual. It's the way of the season and it's fine, as long as it's in balance and you're taking the right measurements to enjoy it all in an 80:20 way and organizing time to sweat out your indulgences. Hitting every party is fine if you have the energy, but it's not if you can't control how much and what you're putting in your mouth or if it leaves you too lethargic to get up and work out. Remember it is always WAY EASIER to put on weight than it is to take it off, so don't assume that the little bulge you are seeing now is just putting a temporary dent in your fitness goals. It's going to take time and hard work to undo the damage you do with over eating, over sweeting, over drinking, and under exercising this time of year.
If bloat is the issue from an over indulgent weekend, holiday, event, or eating the wrong foods then use these 10 tips to get anti-bloat results FAST. Some will work for you immediately, some overnight, and some take a few days to really reap the best rewards. All are super beneficial for your health, wellness, and will ease inflammation, bloating and give you the anti-bloat results you are looking for.
10 tips to beat bloat:
1. Skip your morning coffee or tea and rather start the day with a warm or hot mug of water with lemon. This alkalizes your system, gives an overall 'clean sweep', and the bitter helps to stimulate digestion and elimination. If lemon water isn't your favorite you can replicate this with using a small amount of pure cranberry juice (not from concentrate). The bitter component of cranberry diluted with water will also help flush your system. (This does not work with Ocean Spray or other sweetened or cranberry juice 'drinks'. It must be PURE cranberry juice/not from concentrate). Additionally look at investing in Triphala which is an Ayurvedic 3 herb combination used to help tonify your digeston and help with daily elimination.
2. Skip the starchy veggies and grains and eat pseudo-paleo for a day or two. Paleo eating is primarily eating lean animal protein, water rich veggies like spinach and broccoli, and low sugar fruits such as berries, while avoiding all starchy foods and grains. Though sweet potatoes, beets, starchy veggies, organic grains, and sweet fruits are considered 'good carbs' the starch turns into glucose (sugar) in your body which gets stored as glycogen in your muscles. In this process your body brings more water into the muscles for retention. This is why so often when you see someone go on a low-carb diet they lean out fast. As their muscles become deplete of glycogen they lose all the water weight they were holding onto.
|Pseudo-paleo eating for someone who does not have time to cook or meal prep. You can buy everything pre-cooked|
3. Enjoy foods that have a diuretic quality (aka help you shed water weight). My two favorites are asparagus and dandelion tea. In saying that, you also want to limit your sodium intake. Stay away from processed foods, packaged foods, over-salting your food, and limit your sodium intake to the sodium that is naturally in the food you are eating. All organic plant based foods are rich in minerals, so rely on your veggie's natural mineral content, or if you must salt, use himalyan sea salt sparingly while de-bloating.
4. Drink more water. If you're coming off a weekend of over-indulging, likely you've started to create new patterns and expanding your stomach so that it's feeling hungrier faster. More often then not, when we're hungry it's simply our body's response for a need for more hydration. Keep a hydro-flask or other water bottle handy and full and sip often.
5. Avoid dairy which is mucalegnic and causes inflammation in the body and up your probiotics, superfood nutrition, and digestive enzymes. Instead of having yogurt, milk, cream or a yogurt based smoothie try a superfood smoothie with vegan shakeology. It's packed with probiotics, digestive enzymes, and adaptogenic herbs that bring your body into balance. You'll curb your sweet tooth while practicing pseudo-paleo, and will need only a scoop rather than a bunch of ingredietns to make a great superfood smoothie.
6. Swap out your happy hour drinks for fresh pressed green juice. Pick a cold-pressed green juice with minimal or no sweet fruits. These juices not only refuel electrolytes, but have an anti-inflammatory effect in your body. Those that contain bitters like dandelion and lemon, and diurectics like parsley will have a more immediate effect on lessening bloating and inflammation. You can find lots of green recipes on my blog or stop by a juice bar near your home. If you choose a juice with fruit in it (or opt to eat some fresh fruit) select either pineapple or papaya which are rich in digestive enzymes. Always eat fruit and drick your green juices on an empty stomach, and wait at least 30 minutes before eating anything else.
7. Stop eating for the day by 7pm, enjoy a digestive health promoting tea like peppermint tea or a detox tea, and get to bed by 10pm. Getting a great night's sleep on a closer to empty stomach will make your sleep state better and allow your body to naturally detoxify while you rest. I recommend having your next morning's meal at least 14-16 hours after your last meal to ensure your body has fully digested, detoxed, and that you've allowed your body time to reach it's fat burning state (after approximately 12-14 hours of fasting). So if your last meal was at 7pm, have breakfast the next morning at 9am. The word 'breakfast' is two words put together = 'break' and 'fast'. Every day you have breakfast you are essentially breaking a fast and have given your body an opportunity for natural detoxification.
8. Exercise INTENSELY. Opt for either a cardio or cardio with weights workout. The primary detoxifier and ridder of sodium in your body is SWEAT, so make sure whichever workout you are doing you are moving vigorously for you, rather than mimeing your workouts. GET A GOOD SWEAT GOING. I recommend picking a workout that is 30 minute to 45 minutes long. Some of my favorite high sweat workouts are from Core De Force, Insanity Max 30, and 21 Day Fix. You can access all of these workouts through my free membership link. Sign up through that link to enjoy full a month of fitness (scroll down and press start FREE TRIAL). Alternately truly COMMIT to getting results that last and reset your patterns by joining our next challenge starting THIS WEEK here.
9. Consider starting a 3 day plant based cleanse. My favorite short cleanse to reboot is the 3 day refresh. By the third day of eating light plant based foods and taking all the detox supplements you are completely de-bloated, have set new patterns and habits, have shrunk your stomach, eased all inflammation, and completely feel reset.
10. Twist out the extra in a yoga or hot yoga class. While hot yoga is not for everyone, YOGA is for everyone. No matter what your skill level you can find amazing classes online. I recommend visiting my virtual yoga studio and trying the series in my 3 week yoga retreat. All classes can be done from your home and are available for my club members or those starting their free trial membership today.