With all of my travel i've had to learn how to select the perfect coconut.
1. If you're shopping for a whole coconut, select the ones that looks like little white huts (thai coconut)
2. Flip it over and look for a flat, smooth white bottom. Opt for one with minimal or no cracks.
3. Use a cocojack to crack it open, or a square cleaver. Watch Here.
4. Pour water out into a bowl or pitcher, scrape out the soft jelly meat and enjoy.
5. If the water or meat is purple, you have a bad coconut.
If you are shopping for coconut water make sure to look at the carton ingredients, as soom have added sugars. I like harmless harvest the best, however i have seen some stocked on the shelves that are purple. Select only clear coconut water, avoid purple hued water. If you are buying from a carton you can't see in, look at the label and make sure there is no fructose added.
Once you have your coconut open, try this SUPERFOOD SMOOTHIE RECIPE: